Asst. News Editor
The Francine G. McNairy Library and Learning Forum in Ganser Hall will have its rededication ceremony today from 4-6 p.m.
The Council of Trustees (COT) decided to rename the library after Millersville University’s former president, Dr. Francine G. McNairy, on December 19, 2012 based on her “outstanding leadership and service to the University as president and provost to the University”.
Under her leadership, one of McNairy’s accomplishments for the university include starting the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching’s distinguished designation as a Civic/Community Engagement University. The foundation’s goals are to develop a structure of ideas, individuals and institutions to improve teaching and learning.
In 2012, Millersville was one of the 14 Pennsylvania State owned Universities to rank in the top 100 by the Washington Monthly. The University was also ranked at number 68 out of 682 higher education institutions in the U.S. for its contribution to serve the public good.
It is important to note that the name “Ganser” will remain on the building. In 1911 Helen Ganser became the first librarian at Millersville State Normal School. She was the school’s only qualified librarian until 1921.
Dr. Francine McNairy, President John Anderson, and donors from the Soar to Greatness Capital Campaign for Millersville University will be in attendance at the rededication. The University started the campaign in June of 2006 with a fundraising goal of $60 million. This was the most aggressive fundraising effort in the University’s history or by any university in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE).
In May 2010, Millersville raised the campaign goal to $85 million. Funding for the library came from public grants and as personal gifts from alumni, foundations, businesses, friends and employees of the University. When the campaign officially ended on December 31, 2012 Millersville exceeded their goal by raising $88 million.
The ceremony will feature individuals speaking about the library renovation. Dr. McNairy and President Anderson will make speeches, donors who supported the renovation will be recognized, and plaques that read “In Honor of Helen Ganser” and “In Honor of Francine McNairy” will be unveiled.
Some of the new features in the library include revamped study areas, modern architectural designs, an open layout, and a sculpture by John Van Alstine.
“All of the furniture that’s in the library can be separated to use by yourself, or it can be put together to work collectively,” said Priscilla Mulrooney, a student assistant library worker and sophomore who is studying Music Education. “We have a ton of research librarians that are always available for your assistance. There are a lot of options and flexibility within the library as far as how you want to study.”
John Van Alstine’s contemporary piece entitled “Chalice” is located in the library’s Reading Sculpture Garden. The sculpture is made out of aluminum, granite, and steel. Alstine has described his work as, “a kind of American ‘take charge’ attitude toward the material”. He uses the “duality of an eastern or oriental acceptance of stone and a 20th century industrial American ‘can do’ attitude toward metal” as the essence of his work.
Two guided tours will be offered at 5-5:30 p.m. An exhibit in the Archives and Special Collections will be part of the tour. This exhibit will feature old alumni memorabilia. Brochures highlighting different features on each floor will be available for self-guided tours.
This event is free and open to the public, but registration is required. In order to register contact the Office of Special Events by phone at 717-871-5934 or by e-mail at email@example.com.